Sunday, November 09, 2008

The Talk, Part I

What did you do with your Saturday evening? I went looking for help – a book, a guide or better yet, a time machine so I can travel back to when Isaac wasn’t asking, “But I mean, how does the baby actually get into the mommy?”

Yes, we are beyond the daddy-and-I-love-each-other-we-wanted-a-baby-and-here-you-are part of the talk. This kid is aware that I’ve skipped over some important details of the story. And of course he catches me completely off guard and every time I have basically dodged his questions and I’m afraid I’ve blown it with my non-answers. And it’s not that I’m embarrassed to talk to him about it, but I don’t know how to put it in terms he can and should understand. I don’t want to lie to him but the truth… come on, I can hardly believe it. And he only asks me, it’s never when his father is around so I have some support or at least someone to make horrified faces at.

So, after the kids were in bed I headed out to explore the Growing Up section at Barnes & Noble. I settled on a book called, “It’s NOT The Stork” because it was the least absurd to me and I think we can all agree that, indeed, it’s NOT the stork. So, this week when Libby is NOT around I’ll ask if he’d like me to finally get back to him on those questions about fertilization. The book is meant to be read together so it has kid-friendly illustrations and luckily he can’t read so I’ll just skip over some we’ll-get-to-that-later details (like the word fertilization) and do my best to appease his completely normal, sweet, smart (God help me) curiosity.

We’ve got the names of body parts down and we’re clear that the outside equipment is obviously different for boys and girls so maybe we’re even a little ahead of the game but really, I don’t want to play yet. I mean geez, why don’t I just tell him that Santa doesn’t exist too and just end the innocence altogether before he hits the ripe old age of 6? Ugh!

3 comments:

Marisa said...

Ahh! I'm squirming in my chair reading this! Sounds like you did the best possible thing. Can't wait for The Talk, Part II!

The Deiberts said...

Ha! I was just talking to Mark about that the other night. We have a friend who just got pregnant and since we are thinking about it too I was wondering how the heck we are going to explain it to Charlotte when she asks. They are so young but not young enough to be told the general info anymore! Good luck- I can't wait to hear how it goes.

VickyandJen.com said...

This is timely for me too. My 6yo daughter has asked many questions and I haven't lied to her yet. But she is more concerned about how the baby comes out - she asked "Does it hurt?" and quickly decided that she doesn't want to be a mommy. I am sure in a month or so her nurturing nature will return and that will be her life goal again...