Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rrrrrrrrrr

Well, it’s official, I’ve found my inner Mama Bear – that instinct to fiercely protect and advocate for your children. Don’t worry, my kids aren’t in harms way or anything but I have been making a nuisance of myself all over our community getting to the bottom of my concerns about teachers and schools and what goes on when the den is quiet and everyone is out in the big bad world. Earlier in the year I visited Libby’s class and was shocked at how one child was causing havoc. I had no choice but to call the director and when she didn’t return my call that day I tracked her down at drop off the next afternoon. A solution was reached and Libby’s teacher thanked me because as she said herself, when a parent speaks up someone will usually listen.

With Isaac it is a certain uneasy feeling I’m getting when helping out in his class too. This has taken a little more time to ponder but finally I ignored my old instinct to simply fret about it and instead picked up the phone and called the principal! And when I wasn’t satisfied with what she had to say, I pressed on and started contacting other parents about their experience and perspective. I haven’t solved this dilemma, but I’ve proven to myself that my kids do have a mama bear to look after them.

And the other great part about finding my mother voice, my growl, is I can’t be looking out for my kids while worrying about what I look like. I have become so much less self-conscious and much more willing to look foolish, try something new or speak up. Look at me growing with the help of my little cubs! Because it may not sound impressive that I made a few phone calls, but I did it because I know that no one else is going to do it for me and being a mom awakens a new part of your heart – the fiercest, biggest, lovingest part.

2 comments:

The Deiberts said...

Good going mama bear! Keep growling.

Marisa said...

This is so impressive to me. I hope that I can advocate for Eli when I need to too.